We are excited to begin enrollment for the founding classes of University Charter School! Our enrollment process will include three phases: pre-registration, seat offering and acceptance, and final registration.
Pre-Registration for K-8th Grade for Sumter County residents: November 15-December 13, 2017
- If pre-registration does not exceed capacity, Sumter County students will be offered available seats on a first-come, first serve basis
- If the number of Sumter County pre-registrants exceeds capacity, a lottery for Sumter County residents will be held on December 14, 2017
Pre-Registration for K-8th Grade non-Sumter County residents: January 3, 2018-January 31, 2018
- If the number of pre-registrants exceeds space remaining after Sumter County registration, a lottery for non-Sumter residents will be held on Feb 1, 2018
- If the number does not exceed availability, this lottery will not be necessary, and students will be offered available seats on a first-come, first-served basis
- “Non-Sumter County residents” is defined as :
- all Alabama residents that reside in any county other than Sumter County OR
- Mississippi residents that meet one of the following criteria:
- legal guardian is employed in Sumter County OR
- residence is located within 15 miles of the Sumter County line
UCS will implement an online application process. Beginning November 15, the pre-registration application will be available to families residing in Sumter County, but parents can access UCS’s SchoolMint platform now to create an account at https://universitycharterschool.schoolmint.net/signin. We encourage all students and their families to set up a profile now on SchoolMint to become familiar with the platform and to be prepared for the opening of pre-registration.
Anyone who would like assistance with the online application process or has limited access to a computer, mobile device, or internet can participate in one of six on-site pre-registration sessions, three for each pre-registration period. For Sumter County resident pre-registration, the sessions are scheduled for Nov. 20, Dec. 4, and Dec. 13. For non-Sumter County resident pre-registration, the sessions are scheduled for Jan. 4, Jan. 15, and Jan. 30. All sessions will be open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., held in Lyon Hall Room A136.
Seat Offering and Acceptance:
Students offered seats at UCS via the pre-registration process will receive letters from UCS. Their parents must then accept or decline the seat in that grade in order to move into the final registration process.
Following acceptance of a seat offer, the seat is held for the student, and the student’s more detailed application will be completed for enrollment.
Pre-kindergarten at UCS will be open to students who will turn four years old on or before Sept. 1, 2018. Enrollment for pre-kindergarten will be announced at a later date, as directed by the Office of School Readiness policies and procedures for First Class Pre-K Classrooms.